Wednesday, May 20

Mi Casa

Well, I've been promising people some pictures of my apartment so here they are! A couple of interesting notes on each room:

-bathroom: the european bidet...i still don't exactly even understand how one would go about using it.. -kitchen: no dishwasher :(, have to turn on gas on the wall and light the stove with match, no light in refrigerator, microwave that gets more use than any other appliance in house -bedroom: really big! tons of closet space, my own TV, very small bed w/ no box spring -living room: have sat in there about 3 times, TONS of family pictures everywhere, connects to dining room with big, fancy table i have never sat at -balcony: nice, but completely fenced in, so you feel a bit claustrophobic and can't lean out to look down in the street or anything. the cat lives out there (except they brought her inside for a bit yesterday and today. it was terrible, and now my pajamas smell like cat) -elevator: sliding white door which you can see. then there is a real door that locks right in front of that. then there is a tiny little vestibule with another locked door to get into the apartment.

So I live on what I'd call a pretty typical residential city street of the upper/middle class barrios. On one side of my building there are more apartments, and on the other side is a glass store. Like industrial size pieces of glass, mirrors, etc. On my block there are also several hair salons, a laundromat, a Steinway piano store, a children's bedroom furniture store, a bakery, an outdoors/Columbia outlet, 3 cafes, one kiosk (drinks, candy, phone cards), a school supplies/paper place, a pilates studio, and more apartments. There is only one bus stop on my actual block, but many more right around me. I was lying in bed last night and had the weird realization that it was completely silent. No street noise, no sirens, no wind, nothing. I don't know if it's usually like that and I've just never noticed, but it was weird to be in such a huge city and have it be quieter than at home, where we have the train and the constant freeway noise. Although every morning at 7 AM the construction starts on the new apartments behind us, directly outside my window, so that makes up for it.

My first parcial (midterm) is a week from tomorrow...in the class during which i have my eyes closed about half the time...entering panic mode. Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment