Tuesday, January 20

First post!

Well, this is my test post for my new blog. After I chose blogger.com from the many free blogging options out there, setting this up was incredibly easy. I decided to name my blog "La noche boca arriba," after a short story by famous Argentine author Julio Cortazar that we read in my Spanish class last semester. The title translates roughly as "The Night Face Up," and the story is a bizarre, surreal blending of dreams and reality, past and present. The main character always ends up "boca arriba" -- lying on his back looking up -- be it on an operating table or on a sacrificial altar of ancient Aztecs, trying to figure out some aspect of his life. Cortazar is truly a fascinating writer, and I hope to read some more of his works in a class in Argentina. Read an English translation of "La noche boca arriba" here.
Also of note, we got our housing notifications from the program director last week. We were only given the name of the head of household and the address. I've been using GoogleEarth to check out my new neighborhood, and I'll be living in a fairly central, advantageous location. I also called my host mother on Saturday, but that ended up being somewhat of a disaster, as neither of us could understand each other. She kept repeating "You have to call the business" in English and seemed quite annoyed that I had called. I thought my Spanish was clear enough, but I guess not. She didn't even answer my questions about her name, if she had kids living with her, etc. Oh well, I guess you shouldn't judge someone by a one minute international phone call in your second language!
A little less than a month and I'll be in Argentina! Thanks for reading :)

5 comments:

  1. Hola, Dana! Estoy muy emocionada que vas a vivir y estudiar en Argentina! Yo creo que te va a caer muy bien la vida en una ciudad grande en la corazon de Sudamerica!

    Now, regarding that mystical phone call, it sounds as if she wanted to be communicating on another telephone line, doesn't it?! Maybe she sent the wrong number along on her paperwork? Telephone conversations in Spanish are always tough, 'cause you can't use your wonderful facial expressions and your hands! But how exciting that, by the time you return to the U.S., you'll be a pro!

    Thanks for sending the link to your blog. What a wonderful way to keep in touch with the world! I wish I had had it when I lived in Colombia and Panama'! I may have to send something by snail mail, too, just to see if it really does arrive. :-)

    Have fun getting ready to travel. Remember to take your own music; you'll miss it. Oh, yeah, that's right! There are ipods now!

    I look forward to reading your next blog entry! From Renee'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dana,

    I am so excited for you Dana and look forward to reading your blog often. Please learn how to Tango so you can teach Uncle Jim (and me) when you come home.

    I hope your host mother will turn out to be wonderful and kind. The language can be a hindrance via phone. Hopefully, once you get there she will be hospitable in every way.

    My best wishes, thoughts, and prayers for what could be the greatest adventure of your lifetime. Enjoy it to the fullest girl.

    Love,
    Auntie Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dana I am loving the blog. I am loving the pic and about me section. I am pumped to read this! Have a super safe flight and trip on Sunday and I cannot wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dana, I hope you I hope you have fun in Buenos Aires do not go by strangers if you don't know them stay away

    GO BLUE, RYAN HOGAN

    ReplyDelete