Thursday, February 19

Dia tres

Hola!

I'm typing now in my bed sweating profusely with the fan blasting and the window open because it is SO humid here. It has been incredibly hot...not that I'm complaining. I don't even know where to begin...I'm having a great, great time so far. Yesterday was the first day of orientation with the other students in my program. All of the orientation activities are being held in this old Italian palace, about a seven minute walk from my apartment. A lot of other kids have to take long subway or bus rides to it, so I'm lucky. Basically at orientation, which was also today and continues for the next two weeks, they talk to us in Spanish about safety, the family stay, class registration, etc. It can get pretty boring, but we get breaks to wander around / eat and the information is usually very useful. The food highlight of yesterday was the ice cream (which is more like gelato) we had at a cafe after lunch. Today in the morning we went on a guided walking tour of the surrounding area, which was really interesting and focused a lot on the French architecture of the wealthy district Recoleta, although I didn't understand a lot. The food highlight of yesterday was the ice cream (which is more like gelato) we had at a cafe after lunch. I've met some more friends in the group, which is a relief. UW has the most students in the program actually, but I only knew one of them beforehand at all. I would say most of the students speak significantly better than me.

I absolutely love my family situation. Claudia, my host mother, is so accommodating and funny. I already feel totally at home. I got up, ate breakfast, and left this morning before anyone else was up, and I was quite proud of myself for making it to orientation alone, on time. I set the table at dinner and they insist I tell them what I like, choose things instead of saying "no me importa," etc. I've met Claudia's two grown daughters briefly as well as her mother. Her husband died 15 years ago. I love eating together (we didn't eat dinner last night until 11:30!) and trying to communicate. Francisco, my host brother, always laughs at me, and they are very patient about repeating things and speaking slowly. I tried dulce de leche after dinner tonight and it was really good. They drink yogurt out of a cup, put mayonaise on a lot of stuff, and eat an apple or bannana for dessert. Last night Boca Juniors had a game on TV and Francisco asked me if I wanted to watch it with him, so of course I did. He is quite the rabid fan and insisted we wait until halftime to eat. Tonight we spent quite a bit of time showing each other pictures of our friends, and he answered all my questions about the subway, where to buy certain things, etc. He also had thought Wisconsin was a city, and he made me show him Mequon, Madison, etc. in an atlas. I have this book of Argentina colloquialisms, swear words, and useful expressions and he thinks it's hilarious. Anyway, it is so nice to have someone my age around, and I told him I didn't want to impose but that I'd love to go on errands, meet his friends, go play soccer with him--whatever--once in awhile to get to know the city better and spend time with locals, not just out with other Americans acting touristy and speaking English. He promptly asked me to go running in this park in another part of the city tomorrow afternoon with him, as I'd expressed interest in finding a less populated place to run.

Well, I should be in bed, I have a placement exam at 9 tomorrow morning. Sorry for getting carried away and writing so much. Today when I skyped with some people Spanish slipped in a couple of times and it was weird to speak in English. Also, right before I fell asleep last night I caught myself unconsciously thinking something in Spanish. So I know I'm already improving, although the effort it takes to function all day in another language is giving me headaches! Hasta pronto, todos. Chau! 2 awkward moments (for you, Jordan): My host mother's mom came over to meet me. My host mother insisted I bring out my little album of family photos, which she loves to look at while telling me how young and lovely my family is. Anyway, her mother opens the book, squints down at all of us in a row at a football game, points to my face, and says "Tu padre (father)?" My host mother felt terrible and kept telling me her mom is almost blind.

My apartment building is very old and stately looking, and it has an elevator that looks more like a dumbwaiter that goes up to a tiny foyer directly in front of each apartment door, not a hallway or anything. I have to use four different keys that look exactly the same to get in (one for the outside door, one for the elevator, one for the actual door, etc.). They are all very large and antique-looking. You also have to relock every door after you go through it. I got stuck in this little box between the elevator and the apartment door with no air and no lights for ten minutes trying to open the door. So then at night Francisco made me practice unlocking and locking each door. I'm sure he thinks I'm an idiot because I couldn't figure it out for so long. Then he left me outside, went off to have a drink, and told me he'd call in a half hour to make sure I'd made it upstairs.

3 comments:

  1. hahahahah oh dana i'm glad you're having fun!! it soundgs great so far :) haha i love your awkward moments! i love reading about your life so don't apologize for writing so much! and i'm sure you are actually sweating profusely haha i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana! No te preocupes si escribes un monton, tu vida es tan interesante y no me molesta leer tus cuentos largos! Escriba mas! Ohhh how was that? But I'm so glad you're loving it, and thank you so much for the awkward moments! I love it! Hasta luego!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was thinking you should write more! perhaps twice a day? i think you have the time! :) 24 days!

    ReplyDelete