Sunday, June 28

goooooooolllll (mas futbol)

Well my first weekend of vacation was pretty jam-packed, even though I easily could have slept the entire three days. Friday I went shopping with two Argentines and an American from my soccer team. The Argentines were picking out clothes for me, but my shoulders were too big for the majority of the tops, and some of the stuff was just plain ugly, but it was really funny. We also looked at about 10,000 pairs of boots, and I was being my usual indecisive self. I finally bought a pair in the style that I wanted for 100 pesos. Granted they are fake leather, which is kind of a crime being in the leather capital of the world, but they were cheap, I liked them, and In WI I have to wear snow-proof boots anyway, so I guess it's okay. Friday night Ed had a little concert with the choir he's in at one of the universities here. The really weird thing was that all the songs were in English, and he was the only foreigner in the choir. They were actually very good, and all of the Argentines had almost perfect English in their solos. They sang The Killers, James Taylor, and a bunch of other famous American artists. There was also a Eurythmics/Michael Jackson medley that was hilarious and timely. After that we went out to eat at this super fancy place, Bar 6, in Palermo. It was a bit expensive, but my chicken mushroom brie thing was delicious. Yesterday morning was a our last soccer game with all the Americans still here. We won 3-0, and I got to play midfield again and scored the first goal. After the game we were taking pictures and stuff, and at one point we set up with all the Americans in front and all the Argentines in back. Right when our coach was taking the picture they started screaming and threw yerba mate and flour all over our heads, then chased us around with water bottles. We were so confused, but I guess it is a custom here when people graduate to throw flour and eggs and olive oil on them. The girls thought since we're leaving it would be fun. Anyway, it was hilarious, and I was absolutely covered. My hair was this weird yellow green color from all the yerba. After that we had planned to go out to eat as a team. We Americans thought we'd go to a nicer cafe or something, but the Argentines excitedly insisted on McDonald's!! Here it is actually rather expensive, and everyone loves it and goes for special occasions. We protested a bit, but I ended up giving in and eating there (although two Americans went to the grocery store across the street to buy salad instead). The Argentines thought it was so weird and funny that we don't like McDonald's. Also, our goalkeeper found 300 pesos (like 100 dollars) in the middle of the road on our walk there, and she paid for all the food. After that we were supposed to meet up with Fran and his friends for an America vs. Argentina soccer game, but the Argentines wouldn't commit to a plan even like 3 hours before, and it ended up not working out. Everything is so last minute here I can't handle it anymore!! All of us girls had other plans and stuff going on later, and we wanted to go straight from our real game, but they just don't understand the concept of schedules here.

Saturday night Ed, Hanna, and I went out to eat for our last meal as a threesome, because when Hanna and I get back from Chile, Ed will have already left for Brazil. We went to this awesome little jazz club/restaurant in Palermo that was in my guide book. It was literally the tiniest place I have ever seen...basically like the kitchen and living room of some couple's apartment. We celebrated Ed's 21st b-day early and got champagne, and the food was also delicious. A jazz quartet played for about an hour and a half right in front of us, and it was super relaxed and intimate.

The grandkids slept over last night, so I hung out with them a bit this morning. I decided to go with Fran to vote...I figured it's a pretty cool opportunity to see how election day works in another country! Anyway, at the polling place (a school), there were all these lists posted outside of citizens' names. You look at the list to see which "mesa" (table) you need to vote at. On our way upstairs we saw two military members with huge guns, which was kind of weird. I was actually kind of nervous because I didn't really know the rules about going in and everything if you're not a citizen. Anyway, upstairs was jammed with people, and basically we walked down some hallways with little tables set up along the walls to find Fran's number. At his table he waited in line, and I just stood off to the side. I got a lot of weird looks because it was a hallway of all men's tables (as I wrote before, they have gender separated voting). When it was his turn, he said his name and gave them his national document. They crossed his name off of a big list, and gave him an envelope signed by five witnesses at the table. He then waited to enter the "cuarto oscuro" (dark room), which was a classroom with all of the ballots for each party on different desks in a circle. You go in, shut the door, and simply seal the little slip of whichever party you want in your envelope. So there's actually no marking you do yourself (or hanging chads...or machines), and they're not really ballots. It just is like a piece of propaganda from the party you want, with the names of leaders of the coalition. There were more than 20 choices. Also, obviously, no write ins or independents. When he came out he put the envelope in a cardboard box and got his stamped document back. Very interesting.

This afternoon Fran, Claudia, the two grandkids and their parents, and I went to CUBA Nunez (Club Universitario de Buenos Aires, the club that Fran belongs to for playing soccer, sailing, etc.). We were supposed to go to Bella Vista to have an asado, but as usual, they changed their mind at the last minute and I didn't know what was going on for like 3 hours. I know I should feel lucky that they're even willing to take me with them on these kind of things, but it's just very annoying to never have a plan. I had other people inviting me to go to a Sunday market, a birthday brunch, etc., and I had to say no. But at 1:30 I was still waiting around for them to tell me what we were going to do. I'd always rather do the activity with the family, but it's just so unorganized!! I told Fran that I could never live in this culture for a long period of time, then he told the rest of his family, and they were all laughing about how I always want to know the night before what we're doing the next day...but really, is that too much to ask? Anyway, it is hard to explain what this club is because I don't really understand myself. It's outside of the city, on the river. It's basically like a country club, with tennis courts, soccer/rugby fields, sailboats, a playground, and a restaurant. You pay every month like places at home. But then there are actual semi-professional sports teams (only for men) associated with it, and it has various buildings throughout the city, many of which only men can use. Very weird. Fran gave me a tour when we got there, and even though it was a cold, overcast day it was very nice on the river and all. We ate lunch up in the restaurant with the rest of the family, and then Fran, Mateo, and I went out to play some soccer. We only had Mateo's little ball, and we were just messing around with him for awhile. Later Fran found a real ball and we got to play by ourselves a bit on the real field, which was fun.

Now I've just been packing because Hanna and I leave for Chile tomorrow super early (the taxi's coming at 4:30 AM...ugh). The U.S. lost 3-2 to Brazil in the Confederation's Cup final, which was very unfortunate. It would have been nice to rub in Fran's face, because everyone here thinks U.S. soccer is a joke...which I suppose is usually true, but not lately. Two more things I'm missing: a hairdryer and a dishwasher. And the custom of staying to the right when you're walking towards people...so many awkward crashes. Well, I'm super excited for this vacation within a vacation...I'll be back late Friday night, so expect to hear from me again next weekend! Chau! p.s. I have yet to buy a single souvenir for anyone...just a warning.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha things I love: how long-winded your blog is, the soccer love, the pictures of us being dirty/fat after the last game, the fact that you're a polysci nerd and went to the election anddd other things. Come back from Chile so we can hang out.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete